Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Thesis Proposal Change

After experiencing the worst start-of-a-semester in my college career, I decided its time to cut my losses and pursue a project a little less ambitious for Thesis. Rather than creating an interactive dual channel video instillation, I will be working on completing a documentary tracing the roots of my opinions and discovering the influences that shaped my personality. This will be a project I can not only use to have others learn about me, but a project I can use to learn more about myself.
I will treat this documentary the way I would an autobiography, by collecting my own thoughts on a broad range of topics, then use that array to categorize the people close to me based on things we agree on. I will be able to interview the people I choose on those topics, asking them questions about their own feelings towards the topic i choose. After collecting all of the soundbites needed, I will take the clips into post production with the intention of cutting the clips to formulate my own opinions to match the original array.
This process of making the film will work the same way it works in society. Those around you will express their opinions on certain topics, and your mind will extract and organize those thoughts to create an original opinion to call it's own. Through editing, I will select the opinions I agree with most and match the clips to form my own opinion that agrees with the original array of thoughts recorded at the start of the project.
The end result will be understood as a sub conscious map of my own opinions and will serve as a tool for introducing the audience to those who i consider to be close to me.

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea since a person's character and personality is created by views of others. Its interesting to see some of the sources of information and to see which ones you accept and which ones you omit. I think it would be cool if you had an autobiography, but also another screen showing the information you do not agree with. Since a personality is not only built upon a person's supporting views, opposing views as well. The title "autobiography" in my opinion is a little straight forward, maybe something that explains the project and possibly its process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea and I think it is the best yet...so don't change it!! haha. Anyway, I feel that it is interesting to, in a sense, create an identity using the opinions of others. I think you could learn a lot about yourself. Like one thing we mentioned, it may be important for you to make sure you put effort into solidifying your opinions so they do not change as the result of what someone else has to say. In the case of this project, I feel that the most important part is going to be your skill of editing. You should make sure that you are careful with what you do in order for the documentary to be clear and concise with the ability for anyone (art folk and non-art folk) to understand it.

    For the title, possibly create something that says that you are creating an autobiography through the eyes of others. You could make it something clever. I also really liked idea of the juxtaposition of the self-portrait that you made with the video itself. I feel that it may contrast different options of expressing a portrait of oneself, by traditional means (the painting) or by something that steps out of the box (the video).

    ReplyDelete